[MLB-WIRELESS] Full, secure payment handling for TIB?

fenn_b at smktech.com.au fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Wed May 8 12:47:04 EST 2002

Hi All,

I have been investigation some options for an automated payment system
for TIB and have stumbled across  http://www.paypal.com/. It is free to
use and would allow organisers to receive payments directly to their
account ($1.50 withdrawal fee to Australian bank accounts once offer is
over). However, there are some pro's/cons:

Pros:
 - Receipted transaction handling - Payments could be automatically
reconciled within TIB without manual work from the offer organiser
(paypal has a simple CGI scripting interface)
 - Signup is free
 - No "commission" is taken by paypal (for personal accounts)
 - Netbank not required
 - They are well respected and "secure" (Used a lot on eBay, 15Million
members/etc)
 - Payment goes directly to offer organiser (no middle man)

Cons:
 - Credit/Debit card is required (as far as I can tell)
 - CC number is stored on Paypals system
 - Third party point-of-failure introduced

Have a read of their site and check out the details (I may have missed
something).

What are peoples thoughts on this?

Regards,

	Fenn.