[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless internet in Melbourne?

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Tue May 7 06:39:19 EST 2002

At 1:04 AM +1000 7/5/2002, rick wrote:
>as wireless internet there isnt any to speek of yet,

didn't someone post a list of Australian wireless ISPs recently?

>but as legally people dont seam to be able to share data over a 2.4-5 ghz
>yet or atleast that wat it seams when i read the legal mumbojumbo

<sigh>

I take it you mean Internet data:

OK, once more....
yes you can if you

1.  shell out $10,000 for a carrier license:  this is what a
commercial wireless ISP is required to do in Australia.
2.  transmit only within your own organisation:  ie a club, or the
employees of one company
3.  do so on a "non-commercial" basis

What is not entirely clear is whether 2 and 3 are both/either
required, and the status of "non-commercial" operations.   The reply
to the Brisbane wireless project indicates that cost-recovery charges
in a non-profit group do not count as commercial.

http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~mesh/doc/2001-10-25-aca-answer.txt

</sigh>

Can we *please* get this onto the FAQ in some form or other, and have
the FAQ and "Getting started" links displayed somewhat prominently on
the home page?

Clae.

         clae13 at yahoo.com        is no more
          clae at tpg.com.au        is where it's at
   Please change your address book entry if you have one