[MLB-WIRELESS] A shining example of why businesses *should not* use 802.11b

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Fri May 3 14:47:46 EST 2002

On 05/03/02 02:14 PM, sanbar wrote:

>Best Buy closes wireless registers
>Hackers say credit card data vulnerable; other retailers at risk
>By Bob Sullivan
>MSNBC
>
> May 1 -- Think you are safe from the cryptic world of wireless computer
>hacking? Think again. Security researchers who study wireless networks
>have found another embarrassing information leak, this one involving
>well-known retail giants.
>
>http://www.msnbc.com/news/746380.asp?cp1=1

WHat worries me about this is not that the 802.11b security is lax, but
what it reveils about corporate lack of security in general. symptom not
a cause, surely?

quote
"There are security mechanisms in place, but whether or not (the stores)
use them is a different story," Ferrone said. "If the security is not
turned on, then the traffic would be open."

I think that says it all really.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC