[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless cameras

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Wed May 1 17:33:48 EST 2002

On 04/30/02 09:45 PM, Clae wrote:

> Pinched from the Sydney site, for the person who was talking about a
> remote camera AP recently.
>
> Does Atsana Hold the Wi-Fi Multimedia Silver Bullet?
>    (Posted on Saturday, April 27 @ 16:30:50 EST )
>
>    Topic: News & Events
>

> Much of the talk surrounding multimedia over a WLAN or a Wi-Fi-enabled
> PDA has addressed just one side: the viewing of videos or photos. But
> as more and more people buy camera attachments to stream multimedia
> over 802.11 connections, Michael Krause sees demand for his product
> heating up.

etc.

One of the first thoughts I had about melbwireless was the concept of
open circuit security cameras.  sort of like a wireless and very literal
version of neighbourhood watch.  Ofcourse careful placement and
awareness of camera location would be an issue as I am sure we don't
want to become a big brother clone (besides, web cam sites abound on the
net, so that is not what I intend).

I'd just like to throw a few ideas out there re what use is melbourne
wireless

Remote control house. login to your home (encrypted channel - eg. ssh)
from work and check on the cats.
data transfer your work file home.
play your home stereo at work(!)
netphone over wireless.

also I noticed on the brisbane site mention of apana as ISP for
wireless? any thoughts?

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC