[MLB-WIRELESS] So how does this routing bit work?

Ben Grech vow at optushome.com.au
Sat Mar 30 02:30:47 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Anderson" <a_neb at optushome.com.au>

> > seattlewireless, consume, free2air and other groups are testing various
> > tunnelling (GRE, L2TP,PPTP, IPsec) and routing protocols (OSPF, AODV)
and
> > dynamic systems (mobilemesh, mobile IP, RSIP, etc) their application
over
> > public access wireless infrastructures.
>
> I know, I've looked at all the projects I could find that were already
> going...  I'm dissapointed in all of them so far.

Why? They get the job done, and in some cases, do it very well.

> > Agreed. I think that OOTB is best, and the medium term solution lies in
> > agreement on how existing packages can be implemented and configured to
> > achieve our goals.
>
> Sure, but that's not where my interest lies.  I want ubiquitousness, and
> existing packages don't, and are unlikely to, solve the problems in the
way
> I desire.

At this point you must accept that what you desire is not necessarily what
the group desires, or what is best for the group at the moment. Right now,
it looks like we have 3 active links, and only static routing. Obviously,
there are also no issues with congestion.

When we do get into dynamic routing and 100% utilisation of links, there are
packages available that can help out. What's so wrong with using them? Your
case involves completely replacing TCP/IP, and I'm not sure you see the
enormity of this task.

> If we went from a dozen nodes to ten thousand overnight, I seriously doubt
> that organisational demand could be satisfied on a volunteer basis...

Now there's an exaggeration and a half, especially from someone who is
talking about fallacies in logic.

Cheers,
Ben.