[MLB-WIRELESS] 'Pigtail' in G4 Macintosh

vortex vortex at free2air.net
Fri Mar 29 21:52:21 EST 2002

On Friday 29 March 2002  9:42 am, Rob Werner wrote:
8-<
> Does the very thin cable which is used to make pigtails have an inner core
> and an outer shielding layer?  The cable used in Macintosh computers for
> Airport looks like it is just a single solid wire which I thought was
> weird. Does anyone happen to have a link which explains how to make your
> own pigtails or should I leave it to the professionals?

I'd stick to buying one. AFAIK, 2.4GHz wire propagation is very sensitive,
and Lucent/Agere/Orinoco/Airport external antenna connectors (MC) are hard to
find & require a crimper.

> Also, can the N connectors sold by DSE and Jaycar be used when building
> homebrew antennas like the Pringles yagi?  If not, where should I buy them?

Yes. And don't. (make Pringle antennae, that is). Splash out with a few more
bucks & spin yourself a hecker helical ;-) It's more robust/weatherproof, and
you get far better gain!

> Thanks, and sorry about my lame-o questions.

No such thing as stoopid questions ...

... there are just stoopid people (and their answers ...)

.vortex