[MLB-WIRELESS] Applications on the melb-wireless network

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed Mar 20 09:33:56 EST 2002

> this is 5GHz gear -- does it have similar properties to 2.4GHz ?  or
> is it more subject to weather interference, for example?  i know the
> range that they quote is roughly half that of 802.11b -- why is that?

5 GHz is more weather affected and more line of sight than 2.4 GHz.  Range
also depends on bandwidth - more bandwidth = less range.  You could get 2.4
GHz to work from a mineshaft if you sent data at 1bit/year (not terribly
useful though ;) ).

>   Ben> Would you like to comment on feasability issues you see with
>   Ben> the balloon idea?
>
> the issue with satellite services is latency -- fibre is sooo much
> quicker.  do people recall the old 700ms satellite hop to the US?

Indeed.  a 75000km round trip for a single hop is 250 mS, more for multiple
satellite hops.

> what sort of latency do we introduce at 10km up?

Same as we introduce by going 20km across town (10 up, 10 back), plus a
little more for processing delay.  IOW, nothing more significant than normal
local terrestrial latencies.

> other than that ... i think it's a fine idea.  a few solar cells, a
> newish laptop, a bunch of pringle cantennae, and the worlds biggest
> wine cask bladder and we're off ... ! ;-)

LOL

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for viruses