[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Node x is over this way -was- Applications

Drew drew at wirelessanarchy.com
Wed Mar 20 08:49:51 EST 2002

Ben Anderson wrote:

>>>I agree, horrible idea on an ftpd.
>>>
>>and on a freenet
>>

>_Why_ is it so bad?

why do i feel we're going in circles?

>>>And implemented 'nastily' it'd make the
>>>network suck.  I'm proposing using the mojo only to give people the
>>>
>ability
>
>>>to get low-latency access to the network.
>>>
>>at the expense of everyone else
>>

>Of course.  I think this is better than allowing leaf-nodes to fully
>saturate the bandwidth of the network trading mp3's, movies, wares or porn
>(not that this content has anything inherantly wrong with it as data), just
>that it DoS's the low-latency people.  Some tradeoff has to be made.  Why is
>your tradeoff in the direction of 'good for leechs' (which is inherantly bad
>for network scalability, as it encourages people away from taking
>responsibilty for addint to the network infrastructure, and secondly,
>encourages altrustic people who do provide infrastructure to provide less
>infrastructure as people complain about shit access) better than my tradeoff
>that allows low latency traffic in exact proportion with the networks
>capability to carry it?

My tradeoff is good for everyone. I would rather solve the congestion by
increasing links and link bandwidth. You would rather solve the problem
by capping/throttling/limiting bandwidth. My way the network expands
rapidly, your way it shrivels and dies, and people go back to Telstra,
who suddenly don't seem so evil.

ive snipped the rest as its all been said before, lets take this off
list and make a wiki page or something if you want to continue.

-Drew