[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Node x is over this way -was- Applications

Drew drew at wirelessanarchy.com
Wed Mar 20 07:16:21 EST 2002

>Correct.  Though long range links are generally expensive...  Perhaps
>tunneling over the internet could be useful in removing the need for
>network-wide broadcast discovery...  Hmm, that and mobile-mesh could work
>quite well...  That'd save a lot of engineering...  But still, it doesn't
>incorporate a decent encryption layer, or a 'mojo' layer either...
>I think I'm going to have to sleep on this... I'm still thinking there's
>some issues with this method I'm not considering yet...

There are *tons* of issues. The main problem with the mojo idea, is that
it doesn't solve what it's trying to.

example - problem: bandwidth congestion
how does mojo attempt to solve this? by creating a class system where
those with more links get more mojo, while those on the outskirts, or
those who cant afford to put 5 cards and 5 antenna on their roofs are
penalized by the system. so how could those people gain more mojo? by
sending more traffic. thus actually increasing the amount of traffic on
the network, as these people try to earn "credits" so they can download.
mojo is like a ratio FTP site, but part of the network, instead of just
some horrible idea on a ftpd.

lets try this again without mojo
problem: bandwidth congestion
how do people solve this? those that have LOS, and can afford it, add
more links out of their congested cloud, or across their congested
cloud. say 2 people do this on each end of this cloud, now suddenly,
traffic is reduced by 50% in the cloud, as there are now a route closer
to 50% of the people than the other. this helps everyone, not just the
person doing the longer link. enough people do this and the problem is
gone. there is incentive here, and it will happen without mojo. those
setting up the links have 0 hops to a shortcut, of course they'd want to
set one up.

-Drew