[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Node x is over this way -was- Applications

Clae clae13 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 06:08:46 EST 2002

>  > Please excuse me if this is one of those questions that was answered
>>  in like 1670 by an arthritic frenchman with a slide rule.
>
>It isn't too far dissimilar to the travelling salesman problem ;)

least-path analysis

>  > what if each node was assigned a unique prime number, and it is
>  > multiplied by  the primes of each node it can see...  ....
>
>It's possible, sure.  But the number gets **rediculously large** as you
>scale to large numbers... Just think about a million different prime
>numbers, all multiplied together...  and now propegate that around the
>network every 10 seconds to deal with nodes roaming around.  Run out of
>bandwidth, don't we ;)

darn those roaming nodes :-)
i have a hunch there's a way around that,

>   is it essential that network
>  > _location_ be that secure, as opposed to content and _personal_
>>  identity?  besides, we don't have to factorise for unknown primes,
>>  just simple division
>
>Even if the guy in the black mask doesn't know my real name, I don't want
>him kneecapping me as I go to check the snail-mail.

yeah but it's not a meatspace location anyway, and i have some vague
thoughts about hiding each hop in the chain

>  > or can we exploit six-degrees here, ie "has anyone seen brian today?"
>  > (echo echo echo) give up.

>  and stop passing the
>hello on after x hops.  Which means nodes beyond x don't know of that nodes
>existance, and can't talk to that node.

but a small number of long-range links that leapfrog over the shorter
mesh links dramatically improve the mutual knowledge in the network.

>Hopefully I haven't rained on your parade enough to discourage you...  Some
>interesting ideas, the primes one actually had me thinking for a few minutes

and your replies ditto

maybe a hybrid of the primes method and the six degrees,
multiplication and passing of primes restricted to x/2 and "where is
brian" requests ditto...  then you don't have a million primes
multiplied together, just a few thousand over here, a few thousands
over there...

>  > ps mojo =  bandwidth as currency?
>
>Not quite...  it makes sense to reward people who run proxy servers with
>mojo as well, as they can arguably add more bandwidth availability to the
>network by caching stuff.
>Mojo is just some magic number in a database somewhere (though I want it
>distributed, with strong encryption to protect the little cookie like
>objects).

much like an anonymous digital currency

>Hopefully that last paragraph doesn't confuse you too much...

still digesting