[MLB-WIRELESS] Node x is over this way -was- Applications

Clae clae13 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 04:35:18 EST 2002

If i follow this, the GPS position is just a convenient way to
establish the location of the node *in the network*, and at times
it's even a bit counterproductive, in the cases where geography and
network topology don't actually concur.  eg having to bounce south to
go north.

If it's actually the position in network space that matters, would it
not be possible to encode the concept of "he's over there" in network
topology terms?

Please excuse me if this is one of those questions that was answered
in like 1670 by an arthritic frenchman with a slide rule.

hmmm.

what if each node was assigned a unique prime number, and it is
multiplied by  the primes of each node it can see...  and then those
numbers are in turn multiplied and passed on and  ummm....  then
would it be possible that each node around me has a large but single
number that describes the network topology around it?  then if brian
has previously sent me his prime, i just have to divide the number
stored at x nodes around me by his prime.  send his packets to any
node that has his prime as a factor, and they pass it on and so on....

i realise that soon you're getting into large primes, but as its not
necessarily a security thing, could we start with 1,2,3,7,11,13
etc... rather than 128 bit primes?  is it essential that network
_location_ be that secure, as opposed to content and _personal_
identity?  besides, we don't have to factorise for unknown primes,
just simple division

or can we exploit six-degrees here, ie "has anyone seen brian today?"
(echo echo echo) give up.  if i can see x nodes, and i ask them, and
none of them can see brian, and they ask y nodes, then kill the virus
after six generations, then the node nearest me says "yeah i know
which way he is", wothout actually passing his location back to me.
then there's a kind of virtual channel back to him, where each hop is
concealed from the hops either side...

I'm probably repeating stuff that's already been said, except in
layman's terms, and/or wrong.  or i need a first year network theory
book to read.  and i'm grasping for the shape of something i can
almost see, which may or may not be possible even if i do grasp it.
on the other hand if i'm getting somewhere please let me know.

anyway that'll be 2 cents thanks - feedback welcomed

clae.

ps mojo =  bandwidth as currency?