[MLB-WIRELESS] [TECH] Dipole antennas, and melbwireless structure

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Tue Mar 19 20:12:30 EST 2002

At 07:25 PM 19/03/2002 +1100, Ben Anderson wrote:

>I think it's do-able, just not trivial :)  It should work, just with minor
>interruption - this isn't a major concern to me, the scalability issues are
>much more interesting...

I might wanna run tram mobile on a Windows box LOL  (ppl who know me would
believe this :) ).

> > We must support tunneling, as it is the most feasible way to rapidly link
> > segments right now, until more wireless links take over.
>
>Yep, shortcutting the mesh is going to be *very* important to the overall
>scalability of the network.

And these routes can be statically specified.

>Yes, though being able to limit the zone of this discovery to a couple of
>hops, and not the entire network, is going to be an absolutly massive
>advantage in scaling this to large networks.

Well, this is where we can experiment.  We also need to know in rough terms
which directions are best for sending to certain destinations (here's where
the lat/long might be useful), based on previous "experience") for longer
paths.

> > Again, this suggests that a _LOT_ more than lat/long information is
> > needed.  For example, here, the best route to a node north of me is likely
> > to be _away_ from it, to the south! :)  So we're back to some sort of
>route
> > discovery mechanism. :)
>
>The lat/long thing should _work_ -- it might not be optimal, but it should
>guarantee a reasonable method exists...  Plus, because the network is
>effectilvy source routed, with broadcast auto source-route discovery, there
>could be an interface for the originating station to define more optimal
>routes...  For example, static-shortcut lists could be propegated to all
>nodes on a daily, or weekly basis for example without being a significant
>overhead -- and that way the originating node could calculate how to most
>effectilvy use the shortcuts to mimise the mojo cost for a particular
>connection, or minimise the latency regardless the cost of mojo -- that
>decisoion is a 'originating stations' choice...

Static routing can be cached easily, as long as there exists a mechanism to
advertise the loss of a static route as well (i.e. a node is turned off in
a controlled fashion).

>And it gets worse...  I don't know if there's even an interface to getting
>network layer access to windows network stack...  And if there's not,
>getting raw ethernet access, and then trying to find a way to get transport
>layer access back to the operating system...  Arrrgh, my brains hurting...
><back to thinking about scaling ;)>

Apparently, it can be done, though not by a MS provided API.  But Windows
will need support by _someone_.

> > One of those restrictions is that the equipment needs to be type approved
> > for the purpose by the ACA, AFAIK.
>
>Yep, but if we can get generic type approved radio interfaces, and then wire
>up the ADC/DAC backend...

Hrm, maybe...  Dunno, I'm not a lawyer. :)

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://vk3jed.vk.irlp.net