[MLB-WIRELESS] Applications on the melb-wireless network

Bryce Letcher bryce at lectronix.com.au
Tue Mar 19 19:52:48 EST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Anderson [mailto:a_neb at optushome.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 19 March 2002 18:43
To: Bryce Letcher; melbwireless at wireless.org.au
Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Applications on the melb-wireless network

<snip>

> I've been involved in a similar project in a new housing estate. It was
> expensive, required LOTS of organisation, because effectively the
community
> link is replacing Telstra's network for many applications and so becomes a
> carrier, needs licencing, needs to meet regulations etc. It's just not
going
> to happen successfully, even on a commercial basis for many years to come.

Have you any details?  Costings, legal documentation as to why it requires
carrier licencing, etc?

Thanks,
Ben.

I'm not an expert here but as I understand it if you throw a bit of Cat5
over your fence line to the neighbours you are considered to be a carrier. I
don't know how this works with RF, but I'm interested to find out.

rgds,
Bryce