[MLB-WIRELESS] Applications on the melb-wireless network

Bryce Letcher bryce at lectronix.com.au
Tue Mar 19 11:07:49 EST 2002

Ben Anderson wrote:

>Alternatly, one thing I've seen done before is a whole neighbourhood get
>sold on the idea of high speed network access, and they ran fibre to
**every
>home** and installed gigabit hardware everywhere, and the whole cost of the
>project was very comparable per house to broadband internet access for a
>year (they co-operativly got bandwidth, which was included in that price).
>Perhaps we should consider whether organising ourselves and spreading the
>word, and getting whole neighbourhoods to run fibre around is a better,
more
>future-proof way of providing a UPN

I've been involved in a similar project in a new housing estate. It was
expensive, required LOTS of organisation, because effectively the community
link is replacing Telstra's network for many applications and so becomes a
carrier, needs licencing, needs to meet regulations etc. It's just not going
to happen successfully, even on a commercial basis for many years to come.

rgds,
Bryce