[MLB-WIRELESS] [TECH] Dipole antennas, and melbwireless structure

Drew drew at no6.com
Tue Mar 19 07:40:26 EST 2002

>>i wonder if this isn't the core of a lot of the technical
>>disagreements that we see here:  some people are aiming at getting
>>something running tomorrow, that will work until the end of the year,
>>and others are thinking australia-wide (at least) with a planning
>>horizon of 3 years plus.
>>

>I know it is, I've spotted this ages ago...  I keep pointing it out, you're
>the first who seems to have picked up on it.

Don't we first we need to have an actual network to plan long term for?
Planning 3 years down the track is a bit pointless with the rate
technology is advancing, something better will probably be out by then
that solves all our problems in a little box (like the proprietary nokia
rooftop router but non-proprietary) you can make/buy for $100.

>>  >> i guess it's possible that we'll reach a stage where the density
>>  >> of nodes means that directional antennae are no longer required,
>>  >> but i suspect this is several years off ...
>>
>>  Ben> the "omni antenna for local... and a couple of directional
>>  Ben> antennae..." solution is unlikely to be able to deal with
>>  Ben> scenario -- ever.
>>
>>i agree.  it's not designed to.  however, it will work today and will
>>give us a testbed for developing the routing protocols, security
>>systems, etc required to support millions of nodes.

Wait, why is the couple directional and an omni idea bad? Even if
density gets so high that internal cards will work to link to the next
hop, to alleviate bandwidth woes in a heavy traffic area, you could
shoot a 5km link out of it rather than go through every single hop on
the way out. I think this is a far better plan to solve the bandwidth
problems than things like capping/throttling/mojo, because once you
start doing things like that, you start turning into telstra.

-Drew