[MLB-WIRELESS] [TECH] Dipole antennas, and melbwireless structure

David Arnold arnold at dstc.monash.edu.au
Tue Mar 19 03:48:44 EST 2002

-->"Ben" == Ben Anderson <a_neb at optushome.com.au> writes:

  >> From what I'm reading, the basic proposed structure for nodes is
  >> you have one (or two) directional antennas, to connect you to the
  >> rest of the network, and one omni so people can connect to you.

  Ben> I disagree with this as a "structure" as it's backbone based,
  Ben> and won't scale to more than a few of handfuls of nodes.

a backbone-based architecture works just fine for the multiple
millions of nodes on the wired internet, so i tend to treat claims of
it lacking scalability with some caution.

personally, i think that a combination of an omni antenna for local
(ie, few hundreds of metres) client access (and incoming links?), and
a couple of directional antennae for meshing (outgoing?) sounds like a
fine step in evolving the network.

i guess it's possible that we'll reach a stage where the density of
nodes means that directional antennae are no longer required, but i
suspect this is several years off ...

  Ben> And to encourage this 'better connectedness' I've been
  Ben> proposing (and hoping for comments) a "mojonation" like setup,
  Ben> where the more traffic that gets transferred through your
  Ben> system, the more "mojo" you have to spend on routing traffic
  Ben> through other systems...

hmmm.  i have a couple of immediate questions about the detail of how
this could work:

how does a router decide whether a packet should be forwarded (or
dropped) and where it should be sent?

what does "premium" service actually mean?  extra volume?  higher
priority?  more direct (lower cost?) routes?

are packets charged to their originating node or the previous
forwarder?  how do you prevent spoofing of packet "owner"?  does this
penalise "good" services like proxies?

  Ben> Also, to prevent lots of bandwidth being wasted doing network
  Ben> discovery as in OSPF, or mobilemesh, I'm proposing a networking
  Ben> scheme that relates to physical location....

i'd be surprised if routing protocol overhead was a significant
fraction of the network traffic?

  Ben> Encryption in this network would be a very high priority, to
  Ben> prevent nodes from intercepting traffic, and modifying it
  Ben> unknown.

are you thinking about something other than IPSEC or ssh here?

  Ben> Ideally, I'd like to have a pll, a mixer, a big, high-bandwidth
  Ben> DAC/ADC and a dsp/fpga combo to impliment a lot of different
  Ben> modulation techniques (ie the closer you are, the more
  Ben> wideband, spread spectrum high bandwidth protocol you use.

sounds good!  let me know when i can get one for under A$500 ;-)

  Ben> Yes, I know I've written about this before, but last time I
  Ben> mixed it up with the 'committee' stuff, and it seems the tech
  Ben> detail got confused...

not confused, just deleted ;-)