[MLB-WIRELESS] [TECH] Dipole antennas, and melbwireless structure

Julian Featherston julian at concentrate.com.au
Tue Mar 19 00:50:35 EST 2002

> Okay,
>
> From what I'm reading, the basic proposed structure for nodes
> is you have one (or two) directional antennas, to connect you
> to the rest of the network, and one omni so people can connect to you.
>
> Now, my understanding of a dipole antenna design is the AP
> finds the strongest signal on an antenna, then uses that ONE
> antenna to pick up the signal. .. so you can only receive one
> signal on one antenna at one time.
>
> Therefore, if someone with a 100mw laptop is sitting in your
> front yard, your AP is going to use the omni, not the
> directional antenna, thus cutting out your link to the rest
> of the world.

Your right about the one or more directionals for backbone and an omni
for client access
But if you want 3 independent antennas you will require three devices to
provide simultaneous operation.
You would use either 3 cards,
or 2 cards (for backbone) and 1 AP (for clients)

The two antenna ports on some gear does not allow two different
locations to be "joined" but it does allow two antennas to cover the
same area,
the antenna producing the strongest signal at the time will be used.

Jules