[MLB-WIRELESS] POSTING DISCIPLINE - DELETE EXCESS QUOTAGE

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Mon Mar 18 17:06:17 EST 2002

I'm totally boggled by your attitude in regards to this, btw.

Ben Anderson wrote:

> <disk space rant deleted>
> > your email will download a LOT faster!  woo!
>
> Not a big deal, even on a 14.4k it's but a few seconds...

Sure, but it adds up.
That's what I noticed about the difference between cable and dial-up, things
which load really fast even on a  modem loaded *instantly* via cable and my
online time was reduced by about 80% even though there wasn't really that much
of a noticeable difference when you considered each page individually.

Anyway, I don't care, you're mad if you read your mail via a webpage, I was
just trying to think of convincing reasons, whereas as far as I'm concerned
it's a simple matter of politeness and needs no convincing.

> > I'm only stressed about disk space. Some of you might be stressed about
> > time taken reading this list.
>
> Time taken, only have to read the new info.  The old information is very
> useful in extracting context information, which is way too easily lost in
> email conversations...  Makes it hard to figure out which interpretation of
> the words is the correct one if too much is deleted.  Intelligent pruning is
> good, most people, in my experience, once they start, delete too much.  I'd
> prefer excess crap than lack of context.

This is why we have threads and mail archives.

> Umm, what situation.  Hard disk is less than AU$ 4 per gigabyte -- how many
> gigabytes of disk are you running out of already?

500 messages per day since 1990?

Feel free to donate any spare multi-gig drives you have to the cause, dude.

Hang on, are you saying you can get 10 gig drives for $40?

Dwayne