[MLB-WIRELESS] is there ever going to be a central body behind melb wireless

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Sat Mar 16 21:37:01 EST 2002

Will Lanigan wrote:

> the advisory group has the advantages where someone can represent the group
> i.e. if we even want to remotely consider getting some form of sponsorship
> from major corporations, we need to have a group of representatives to do
> so, sure it's possible without, but highly unlikely as we will come across
> as disorganised and non-serious.

Well, I've been involved in soliciting donations for fairly substantial
volunteer projects, and by far the most crucial thing is having a *legal
entity* which can *own the donated gear* as I can't imagine a company giving
much stuff to individuals for private use.

So, if we want any sort of donations, it's highly likely we'll need to
incorporate.

> for controversial issues such as ipv4 VS ipv6 the advisory group could lay
> the actual facts of each standard as well as the pros and cons, then hold a
> vote where the general members could voice their opinions. once the results
> were in they would be discussed and a decision would be made after having
> run it past a couple of people who have relevant experiance in the topic
> being decided upon.

I like this idea.

Dwayne