[MLB-WIRELESS] IP addressing, OSPF and a .plan

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 18:26:55 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 02:08:24PM +1100, Matthew Boyd wrote:
> >I would really hate to see this group jump into an inappropriate
> >design/addressing space How many people here have actual
> >EXPERIENCE designing large networks and suitable, scalable
> >addressing systems?  Lets elect a small group of experienced
> >people to handle the addressing, /me raises my hand.
>
> I'm having fun learning about how all this is put together and
> would be a little disapointed if EXPERIENCE was a pre requisite
> for contributing to this. Perhaps a way to do this would be via an
> RFC on the wiki, that way everyone interested could see the
> process that goes into the design and comment appropriately. I
> think it's a better idea for people to volunteer/take it on
> themselves to do things. There's not a lot of point in electing
> anyone as there's nothing to elect people to.
>
> So... in short, if you want to work on addressing, gather some
> like minded people in the group and do it, putting as much as you
> can up on the wiki and post to the list when appropriate. If it's
> good work then people will use it.
>
> I think working groups are a good idea, someone comes up with an
> idea, asks around for people who are interested who want to
> contribute. If there are people with experience who can contribute
> then great, but that shouldn't stop us n00bs (/me raises hand)
> from contributing what we can.

only people who are really interested in this will take it on.
theres not much point if your not =)

anyhow, OSPF is quite suited to these meshed networks. its meant to
link lots of small areas via relatively small amounts of bandwidth.

"Cisco Router OSPF, Design & Implementation", William R. Parkhurst,
1998, McGrawHill... is actually one of the best router/ethernet/IP
books that i have read, i would recommend it even if your not
interested specifically in ospf, but ethernet and ip networks =)

it talks about using ospf for mesh like topologies, using frame
relay meshes with different or on demand topologies.

which is potentially a lot like what static radio mesh networks tend
to behave like.

yours,

kim
~ thats my 2c for now.
--
| A.L. Digital Ltd.   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755     |   .^. Don't fear|