[MLB-WIRELESS] heaps-o-n00b questions

Justin littlejuz at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 12 21:00:00 EST 2002

Hi Folks,

 Got lots of dumb questions... hope someone can help without laughing at me
too much.

 I'm interested in this as I work at home sometimes, and I want to sit
outside with my lappy and work in the sun.... and brag about it to my mates
:) Don't think I'm into

 My questions / comments

 - I looked at the node map, but I can't work out where I am. How do I do
this? GPS?

 - I can see the Knox city tower from my back yard (I'm south of it) anyone
close?

 - How many of these nodes are interconnected? Part time or permanent?

 - How are the connected ones routed?

 - What areas/nodes are close to being a true permanent RAN?

 - How are the connected ones addressed? DHCP? Static IPs?

 - Are there plans to setup an IP addressing plan?

 - Can someone explain the difference between a Vertical Collinear, Yagi,
Helical and omni? I think omni is all directions, and the others are
directionally focused? (I did aerials back in TAFE, but I can't remembers
squat)

 - How would I stop my card getting onto a private network if I can pickup
multiple signals?

 - Anyone got a PCMCIA card with an antenna jack they want to sell me?

 - Anyone got into trouble for 'accidentally' connecting to a private
network yet?

 I think that should do for a bit :)

Regards,
Gaz.