[MLB-WIRELESS] Meshing experiment time

Simon J Mudd sjmudd at pobox.com
Tue Mar 12 20:43:48 EST 2002

jason at air.net.au (Jason Hecker) writes:

> For those interested and who got back to me on the mesh trial,
> probably the best time to do this would be at the next meeting.  This
> means everyone who's keen can attend and we've got all evening to muck
> about roam about outside on the oval trying to create tenuous and
> indirect connections in order to give OSPF a workout.  It'll mean
> we've got a few weeks to sort out software and configuration issues so
> we can get right into it on the evening.

Hello,

I'm curious as to how many nodes you have and how they are currently
setup.

Here in Madrid we've begun experimenting a bit with OSPF too for the
moment we've only got a small number of nodes working (12 in total and
of thouse about 5 interconnected).  Currently all our interconnections
are via Internet tunnels as MW has been running for a lot less time
than melbwireless and most people are still scouting for hardware.
Wireless Interconnectivity here is probably a little more complicated
due to Madrid being a large city with a mixture of tall and short
buildings.

Our limited experience so far is that OSPF works. However one thing I
find inconvenient is that if you want to hide a node's internal
network structure to the rest of the OSPF network this appears to be
rather difficult.  This is because OSPF shows all the link information
and doesn't appear to have a way of hiding an internal network link
between two OSPF routers (?)  Not too sure how to solve this as in my
case my tunnels to other nodes were being setup by a computer on my
network and the wireless card was on another card. (Perhaps I am
unsual?)

Do you have information on what you plan to setup and how this will be
done?  In Madrid we've assigned 2 networks addresses: one for the
client wireless IPs, 10.64.0.0/16 in our case and then a separate
network 172.16.64.0/x for "backbone" inter-node links.  It seems to
make things clearer.

Look forward to see how you get on with your network.

Regards,

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd at pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager