[MLB-WIRELESS] [Fwd: Re: Linux ad-hoc wireless usb router enclosed cantenna]

Denis Dowling ddowling at unico.com.au
Tue Mar 12 14:30:54 EST 2002

Sounds like a neat idea. One problem. The USB standard states that high
speed USB devices are limited to cable lengths of 5m (16 feet 5 inches) so
even the 25 feet length they talk about is pushing it. Anyone have any idea
what "USB over ethernet" is. Is this just USB connections using Cat 5 cable
or something more exotic? What is the "USB extender"? Is it just a small
hub? It should be possible to chain up to 5 hubs together to get to 25m but
this starts to get expensive.

Regards,
Denis

http://www.wireless.org.au/cgi-bin/minorweb.pl?A=LIST&L=melbwireless