[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [Oz-ISP] Wireless..... ABC 7:30 report tonight. (fwd)

Marian Szczepkowski Marian.Szczepkowski at ericsson.com.au
Fri Mar 1 11:36:13 EST 2002

All

I spoke to the legal dep't at the ACA about 9 months ago and got this,

If the your friends fit in the following then no license is required,

TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT 1997
- SECT 23
Immediate circle

(1)For the purposes of this Act, a person's immediate circle consists of
the person, together with the following persons:

         (a)if the person is an individual-an employee of the individual;
         (b)if the person is a partnership-an employee of the
partnership;
         (c)if the person is a body corporate:

              (i)an officer of the body corporate;
              (ii)if another body corporate is related to the
first-mentioned body corporate (within the meaning of the Corporations
Act
                  2001)-that other body corporate and an officer of that
other body corporate;

The bit here that is good is the partnership. While you are all members
of a partnership no license is required. There is no maximum size for a
partnership, minimum size I would expect to be 2.

This is the question I asked there legal team and the answer was that if
I created a partnership then no license was required and no special
joining, or leaving is required.

So form a partnership that buy's internet access in bulk, tough life!!

SO,

> Q) "Can we form an organisation in order to provide members of that
> organisation Wireless LAN access to the Internet so that we don't need a
> carrier licence ?"

A) Yes as long as it fits the rules above.

> .. feel free to ask them again - they don't charge for answers :)

You need to ask the right question.

On 2/28/02, 10:23:50 AM, sanbar <sandbar at ozemail.com.au> wrote regarding