[MLB-WIRELESS] Double Your Galaxy Antennas Signal Strength!

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Sat Jun 29 10:25:25 EST 2002

At 06:31 AM 29/06/2002 +0800, you wrote:

>Oi !
>
>I haven't done the modification described, but I don't think you guys have
>tried it either.. So none of us except the guy who wrote about what he saw
>can possibly honestly discount his measurements. The guy wrote about HIS
>experience, with actual signal level improvement experienced.
>
>He wrote it, I'm sure, in good faith to be of assistance.
>
>Don't you think it pretty arrogant to say "it shouldn't" or "will not" make
>that that much difference?

Worth a try.  I'm skeptical of much improvement in gain (though I suspect
some gain is there to be had by the improvement of feed
efficiency).  However, a good feed, directed at the dish is likely to
result in lower noise pickup from below and behind the antenna, which can
improve received signal quality dramatically in some systems - especially
where low noise preamps are used.

When we get a lot of links happening, a good dish feed is likely to improve
node performance by reducing noise pickup from off beam sources (i.e. nodes
and other stuff off to the side).

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://vk3jed.vk.irlp.net