[MLB-WIRELESS] More antenna ideas (Was: Mobile phone antennas)

fenn_b at smktech.com.au fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Mon Jun 24 13:49:03 EST 2002

> The only reason galexy et al. dishes are a mesh rather than a dish is
> because of wind loading.

Yes, I actually thought that might be an issue. What if only portions of
it were solid fiberglass though, with just bare flywire (or even
suitably sized/spaced holes) in the actual solid portion to allow wind
to pass thru?

Resin/fiberglass matting can also be laid on in quite a few layers from
my understanding (it just takes longer) meaning you could end up with
something pretty damned strong + light. I wasn't quite thinking 2m, but
hey, why build by halves ;)

Also, what is the minimum mesh grid size? My galaxy has a grid of about
2cm wide (from memory) - Does it just have to be less than one
wavelength to reflect or what? (I really should read up on some RF
theory ;). If this is the case, a more suitable substance may be
available.

Regarding the lard, I'm doing some more work with my microwave as to
studies of 2.4ghz absorption and associated greasy messes resulting ;)

Cheers (and thanks),

	Fenn.