[MLB-WIRELESS] More antenna ideas (Was: Mobile phone antennas)

Will Lotto lotto at impulse.net.au
Mon Jun 24 13:14:03 EST 2002

No, you are entirely correct.

The only reason galexy et al. dishes are a mesh rather than a dish is
because of wind loading.

The amount of braces needed to hold a 2M satallite dish steady in a
strong wind is huge compared to that needed to hold a wire dish.

Technically a plastic/flywire dish would be perfect for 802.11b, all you
need to do is put a standard galexy collector (designes will be
somewhere on the net) at the focal point of the parabolic dish and
you're set. ... Now all you've gotta do is hold the thing steady.

I would recommend lard, but I don't know how well it reflects/absorbs/is
transparent to 2.4ghz radio signals. I'm not sure if many studies have
been conducted in this area either. MelbWireless could lead the world on
2.4ghz lard studies. .. You never know :)

Will.