[MLB-WIRELESS] AP on Mt Dandenong

Jason Hecker jason at air.net.au
Sun Jun 23 11:00:28 EST 2002

Hrm

I think it's a nice idea to have an AP up there.... but the area would be
so swamped with RF from TV and radio, without very expensive filters the
receiver radio in the wireless card, it might be rendered impotent.

Case in point, if you go to Black Mountain tower in Canberra, there are
warning signs that car alarms may malfunction.  My remote car locker would
NEVER work there (OK, it's pico/nano watts... but still) and from memory
you weren't allowed to operate any transmitters like CBs from up there.
Black Mountain Tower has a hell of a lot of comms stuff happening, TV,
radio, mobile phone, all manner of microwave relays and so on.

Although... it's just occurred to me that some govt. depts. were using the
old Lucent wavelans to link two buildings which the mountain was in
between.

So I am not ruling it out.. just be wary.

Cheese,
jASON