[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless press.

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Fri Jun 21 16:56:06 EST 2002

Hi Tony, all,

It is possible I have the wrong end of the stick wrt old versus new
802.11 compatability... Like I said, I have to try it and I can't do
that without the MB fixed and the cables and antennae and some time...
You know...

also wrt frequency, I was going from memory... I'll have a look tonight
and ... er make that tommorow... or something... and I'll confirm the
details...

Tony Langdon wrote:

>>  the trouble is that I suspect that this will not really
>>help as it may
>>not be compatable with the regular 802.11 cards now
>>available.  I shall
>>

>The old cards are incompatible with 802.11 gear. :-(
>
>>have to experiment a bit.  A better use would be to use the
>>two cards as
>>a peer to peer link.  In that case I will probably need a low dBi
>>antennae.  So I guess, how do you make an antennae worse?
>>

>Easy, use a long coax run.  RG-58 will work wonders for soaking up excess RF
>at 2.4 GHz. ;-)
>
>>FYI, 2MB/s, single central channel (2.42 GHz???), nominal
>>range = 35 km
>>  =8-0
>>
>>still this'll have to wait for more play money to become available for
>>hardware.  \
>>
>>I guess if anyone has any suggestions or experience with elderly
>>wireless they might be able to give me a few pointers...
>>

>Hmm, if the emission is entirely below 2450 MHz, I would like a play (and
>don't have to worry about power limits in this application, since the cards
>don't generate 120W of RF power. :-) )
>
>---
>Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses.
>

>This correspondence is for the named person's use only. It may contain
>confidential or legally privileged information or both. No confidentiality
>or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this
>correspondence in error, please immediately delete it from your system and
>notify the sender. You must not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this
>correspondence if you are not the intended recipient.
>
>Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.

Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC, RMIT University
paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
+613 9925 1624 phone