[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless press.

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Fri Jun 21 14:22:09 EST 2002

Hi all,
I have two (old) wavelan cards that I will (eventually - hardware isues
with a flaky MB and one dead-to be resurected MB ... and a general lack
of spare time) be putting in a BSD box.  they are rated at 650mW output.
  At that rate and assuming reasonable losses in cables I can comfrtably
connect to a 8dBi omni and come close to 4mW (if my calcs were correct).
  the trouble is that I suspect that this will not really help as it may
not be compatable with the regular 802.11 cards now available.  I shall
have to experiment a bit.  A better use would be to use the two cards as
a peer to peer link.  In that case I will probably need a low dBi
antennae.  So I guess, how do you make an antennae worse?

FYI, 2MB/s, single central channel (2.42 GHz???), nominal range = 35 km
  =8-0

still this'll have to wait for more play money to become available for
hardware.  \

I guess if anyone has any suggestions or experience with elderly
wireless they might be able to give me a few pointers...

Andrew Dean wrote:

 >I belive that antennas gain adds to the power ... so a high powered card
 >(100 or 200mW) with a high powered (say 24dB) agian antenna would put you
 >over the 4W legal limit
 >
 >antennas 'focus' the power into a smaller 'beam' .... hence higher
outputs..

 >i could be wrong, but this is what i know....

Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC, RMIT University
paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
+613 9925 1624 phone