[MLB-WIRELESS] Spectrum?

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Fri Jun 21 02:46:35 EST 2002

>Ground-ground demonstration rigs have shown efficiencies above 90%
>
>And solar is not simple, as it's only during a small number of hours, and
>the rest must be stored energy -- energy storage costs money, and is heavy,
>and means you need *huge* arrays of cells to even have a small amount of
>continuous power...  -- try doing 300W continuous with solar in under a
>kilogram (or two).

okay now i am really curious...  what are you building that requires
300 watts in a kilogram or two?  If it's a PC based AP, you'd be
better off with a low-power hardware AP (0.5A @ 12V) or at least a
laptop.  The cost difference will be more than made up for in your
power supply costs.

can you reliably cost this "demonstration rig"?  I'd be very curious
about any links you have to this tech.  no suggestion that it's bull,
i am geniunely curious.

also think about the aiming accuracy and beam tightness you'll need
over that distance...  if you want to keep 90% of the power you'll
need to hit your collecting dish damn accurately.  how many seconds
of arc does a 1m dish cover at 10km?

solar and wind together will give you a reduction in both battery and
panel needs, due to night and cloudy day charging.  it's all a
probability thing, how much dead time per year can you tolerate - 99%
uptime will be a lot cheaper than 99.9%

Have you had a look at the WGSolar wiki?

Clae.

hmmm, lightweight.... it's not something that *flies* is it?

>Ben.
>
>>  Simple,  Get a solar power unit, it will be cheaper over a 1 yr period and
>>  no legal issues.
>>
>>  The problem with power transfer the is massive losses.
>>
>>  Rgds,
>>  Bryce
>>

>>  Rip microwave oven magnetron tube out, stick a high gain antenna in front
>of
>>  it...
>>
>>  I don't want it for signalling, but rather supplying power to a remote
>>  location :)
>>
>>  Ben.

>>  with "unsubscribe melbwireless" in the body of the message

David Clae Gason
Secretary, Melbourne Wireless
mailto:secretary at wireless.org.au
http://wireless.org.au

i hate anarchists. i think there should be a law against them  -tahl