[MLB-WIRELESS] RE: Re[2]: [MOB-WIRELESS] Dirty big dish...

Bryce Letcher bryce at lectronix.com.au
Fri Jun 21 01:42:30 EST 2002

>I should also point out that its not gain that's important to the receiver.
>Gain is only going to affect the signal strength, which is fairly
>irrelevant. What we need is signal to noise ratio and having a huge gain
>receive antenna wont help that  :(

Yes it will in most cases... Noise is often dictated by the input stage of
the receiver at 2.4 GHz...  Exception:  heavily populated areas, but then
again, a gain antenna will help keep the crud down.

73 de Tony, VK3JED
http://vk3jed.vk.irlp.net

A directional antenna will help keep the crud down, yes. it's not the gain
but the signal rejection, front to back ratio, which helps there. The gain
is a side effect of the front to back ratio, or the directionality of the
radiation pattern.

rgds
Bryce