[MLB-WIRELESS] Dirty big dish...

Ben Ryan ben at bssc.edu.au
Thu Jun 20 22:10:05 EST 2002

>> > It's not possible to have too much gain. ;-)
>>
>> Legally speaking, it is. Not that it is a real issue in practice.
> Bit of poetic licence there - It's not possible to have too much receive
> gain.

It was a throwaway legal statement. Myself, I've been looking at building a cheap 2-4
watt tx amp.. yeah here in the bush we use straight 240v for electric fences.
same fer cookin hotdogs. she'll be right :) narr the ranges here are bloody
awful, with trees and houses and stuff everywhere. the only way is
amplification... Silicon based or Husquvarna based, s'all good :)
Worked out the EIRP on a 24bdi para coupled with a 4 watt amp. Scary stuff.

>> > Simply use some of the better wi-fi gear that allows one
>> > antenna to be
>> > used for Tx and another for Rx.
>>
>> Nup. It's diversity. Transmit and receive is always done on
>> the same antenna. Whichever antenna gives the highest receive
>> signal strength, that is the one used.
>> Again, those two antenna outputs are NOT TX and RX.
> I'm NOT talking about diversity.
> This is the option: www.concentrate.com.au/misc/selant.gif
> And you can select right or left for both receive and transmit.

shite. words eaten, humbly. yer right of course, I'm way behind the times.
This feature went by me completely unnoticed. Thanks for the de-bunk on the
de-bunk!
And why wouldn't they include the option - they have an RF switch for
left/right, plus an RF switch for TX/RX. It's be easy to sync them so TX would
coincide with LEFT_SELECT and RX with RIGHT_SELECT.
Makes building a TX amp MUCH easier! Used to have to hook into TX/RX RF switch..
now with gear that supports it, just whack a unidirectional amp on the TX line
(hope the TX amp doesn't emit much noise at idle..) and yer set... cheers for the
inph0 :)
I bet the guys at qsl.net would have appreciated that feature when they were
designing their bidirectional amps...

BTW, have you tested this functionality on the other models mentioned?
I know the gemtek (dlink amongst others) PCMCIA card have diversity. Is there a
software function that allows switching both left/right synched with TX/RX?
Is there any issue with settle time? I spose you could knock up a bit of
tack-on logic to perform the same thing. Save buying $$$ Cisco cards when you
can crank up the TX gain at each end and overcome the 'deafness' of the stock
cards....

regards

ben