[MLB-WIRELESS] Paths clearing for wireless networks

Bryce Letcher bryce at lectronix.com.au
Tue Jun 18 11:46:42 EST 2002

Drew [drew at wireless.org.au] wrote:

lkhoo at csc.com.au wrote:

>>>likely the ACA will seek information about the arrangements between the
>>>network providers and users and how funds are being used by the
operators.>

>>Looks like they will be keeping a closer eye on the issue of "membership
>>fee's" for access.
>>I suppose if everyone had to pay an access fee then melb wireless would
>>really just become an ISP of sorts.
>>

>That would be true if melbwireless would not allow you to connect to the
>network until you've paid up, but as I understand it, the proposed
>membership fee would only get you voting rights, and anyone paid or non
>paying can still connect to the network.

I don't think the issue of paying a membership fee before you gain access
has anything to do with this situation. The real issue is whether the group
is attempting to run as a commercial entity, or make a profit from it's
operations. I have no issue with paying a fee for access or a membership
fee, IF the funds collected are put toward some member benefits, such as
better access, club management, or loan equipment for members (like a SWR
meter), or even a library for members. The important thing to do here is to
have an open accounts book which shows all cash flow. In that way both
members and the ACA can be satisfied that no one is making a quick buck.

My personal expectation is that any fees charged, be they membership or
access will be minimal.

Regards,
Bryce Letcher