[MLB-WIRELESS] (Squid Proxy) Paths clearing for wireless networks

KevinL darius at obsidian.com.au
Tue Jun 18 16:24:42 EST 2002

Chances are each cache will only stock a smallish amount of info - we
are, after all, talking about home sites, where each user will have a
fairly good locality of requests, but probably not shared too much with
other houses (except for dynamic content, which can't be cached well
anyway).

There's also an issue that's going to crop up regarding actual setup of
squid or other in a mesh of many proxies (ie. it's hard to do right
without sacrificing lots of speed (waiting for responses from many
servers that are over variable-quality links); and finally there's a
privacy issue (do you want to broadcast the list of url's you're looking
at to all other melbwireless proxy owners?  ;)

Having said all that, it's doable, but it's not going to be something
that reaps great benefit straight away.  I'd suggest the best way is to
setup either a single central, or a small number of regional, squid
"redirectors" - programs that cache info about where content is, and
simply redirect you to the nearest cache that has the info.  Then each
proxy can peer with that/those, rather than building this big "everyone
peers with everyone" mesh.  That also means that privacy can be
addressed on those servers.

Anyway, it's a topic of interest for me - and I can't see why we can't
peer our proxies, one way or another - the trick is going to be in
trying to make it useful, without bogging down people's actual Internet
connections.

KevinL