[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: Telstra Media Release: Telstra Broadband Fund to keep Australia at forefront of technology

Barry Park bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au
Tue Jun 18 16:09:58 EST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: newsroom at telstra.com.au <newsroom at telstra.com.au>
To: bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au <bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au>
Date: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 1:42 PM
Subject: Telstra Media Release: Telstra Broadband Fund to keep Australia at
forefront of technology

>Telstra Broadband Fund to keep Australia at forefront of technology

>Telstra today further demonstrated its broadband leadership role in
Australia with the announcement of the Board members who will administer up
to $60 million in cash and bandwidth allocations through the Telstra
Broadband Fund.  Guidelines for applying to the Fund are available online
today.

> Chairman of the Fund’s Board, Telstra’s Chief Technology Officer, Dr Hugh
Bradlow said Telstra was leading the growth of Australia’s broadband
industry by deploying cable, ADSL and satellite technologies to provide
broadband access to all Australians.

>“We have now established the Telstra Broadband Fund to benefit the entire
Australian broadband industry and ensure all Australians benefits from this
important technology,” Mr Bradlow said.

>“The goal of the Telstra Broadband Fund is to stimulate and fast-track the
development of new and innovative broadband applications, tools and
technologies so that more and more Australian businesses and consumers are
attracted to broadband,” Dr Bradlow said.   “The Fund will benefit
Australian business by providing it with the funding for development
projects and Telstra will not be seeking a proprietary interest in any
outcomes.  The other major beneficiaries of the Fund will be broadband
consumers, both current and future,” he said.

>The Telstra Broadband Fund will provide up to $25 million in cash grants to
successful applicants with a maximum of $250,000 per project.  An amount of
$15 million of the $25million cash total covers Telstra matching dollar for
dollar contributions of at least $1 million from other industry participants
who stand to make commercial gains from broadband use in Australia.

>A further $20 million contribution by Telstra of non-cash grants in the
form of broadband bandwidth allocation at no charge up to the value of
$250,000 will be provided to develop applications, tools or technologies
that stimulate the uptake of broadband services.

>Guidelines are available from today on the Telstra Broadband Fund website
broadbandfund.telstra.com.  The Fund invites Applications for grants from 18
July to 20 September 2002.  Applicants will be informed of the results
before the end of the year.

>The Fund will not support narrowband projects, or the development or
maintenance of websites or portals.

>Dr Bradlow also announced the members of the Board who will decide on the
allocation of the Telstra Broadband Fund.

>“We have succeeded in bringing the expertise of experienced individuals to
the Board, coming from industry sectors interested in the development of
broadband content, applications, tools and technologies.  Members of the
board represent the education, multimedia, government, film, internet and
telecommunications sectors,” Dr Bradlow said.

>The Board Members are:
>
>Dr Hugh Bradlow, Chief Technology Officer, Telstra  Mr John Rimmer, CEO,
National Office of the Information Economy Mr Kim Dalton, Chief Executive,
Australian Film Commission Mr Ramin Marzbani, Managing Director,
ACNielsen.consult Ms Lindy Hyam, CEO, IDP Education Australia Mr Rob
Clemente, Chief Executive, Television Education Network Pty Ltd and a past
president of  the Australian Interactive Multimedia Industry Association  Mr
Don Pinel, Regional Managing Director, Telstra Country Wide

>For further information, please contact:
>
>Stuart Gray
>Public Affairs
>Telstra Retail
>Tel: 03 9632 7358
>Mbl: 0407 816 413
>E-mail: newsroom at team.telstra.com
>

>Story Online http://www.telstra.com.au/newsroom/release.cfm?ReleaseID=20561
>Reference Number: 149/2002
>
>Area(s) of Interest: Corporate Information,Mobile
Services,Residential,Business and Government,Convergent
Business,International,Investor Relations,Small Office - Home Office,Events
and Sponsorship,Network and Technology,Webcasting,Rural

>To remove yourself from the NewsRoom email list, please use the reply
function and respond to this email with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.

This email and any files transmitted with it may be legally privileged
and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
you must not disclose or use the information contained in it.  If you
have received this email in error, please notify us by return email and
permanently delete the document.