[MLB-WIRELESS] Paths clearing for wireless networks

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Jun 18 10:17:42 EST 2002

> This is definitely the way that I see MW operating. We are
> not here to make
> money from anyone. If the group manages to negotiate a deal
> with any ISP (for
> access to the network) then all usage costs would surely be
> passed directly to
> the users who happen to incur, them WITHOUT a profit margin.

Well,in an ideal world, we could just share out our cable connections and
have nice decentralised bandwidth.  Trouble is that even if the ACA give us
the nod (which there is a real possibility :) ), most broadband AUPs don't
allow this sort of connection sharing, so our other option is to buy
connectivity specifically for MW and recover our costs.

If the cable sharing could be made to work legally, there would be an
argument for supporting IPv6 as well as IPv4 up to the APs  (oops, did I say
something religious in here? LOL), since while IPv4 would require NAT, IPv6
can be fully routed (I'm doing that combination myself).

Somehow, I don't see the ISPs coming to the party, unless the ACCC leans on
them a bit...  so we may be using our structure and legal status to purchase
wholesale connectivity, if we get the nod from the ACA...

One technical and negotiating hiccup though is unlike APANA, we'd be better
off with a multitude of smaller pipes spread over the metro area, rather
than one big pipe smack in the middle (again, the shared cable modem idea
would have served this well).

Anyway, let's see what the umpire's decision is. :)

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses.

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain