[MLB-WIRELESS] Question on omni and directional antennas on long haul connection s

Anderson, Steven SAnderso at pacificaccess.com.au
Mon Jun 17 16:57:47 EST 2002

Quick question on omni's and directional antennas.
I think I know the answer, but probably not silly to verify this.

Not being an expert (or even close!) on this stuff, I am confused on the
issue of range.
With "long haul" I am referring to greater than 5km.  Probably 10km in this
case but would like to know for other distances.

On long haul connections, it would seem two directional antennas would be
better as the signal is more focussed.
What about if I set things up with one directional and one omni.

The effective range for the directional would be better than the omni.
I would think normally for a long haul you would have two directional
antennas.
Does using only one directional allow you to increase the effective range
for the omni as well?  (I am guessing no)

If the omni is sending a radio signal, and it has a finite range that is
less than the distance to the directional, then I can't see how it would
work.
Therefore the omni would set the maximum range between the two antennas.
Would using the directional at one end (as opposed to a second omni) extend
the range potentially?  (again I am guessing no)

Regards,

Steven Anderson