[MLB-WIRELESS] dumb / newbie question

bchild at wireless.org.au bchild at wireless.org.au
Wed Jun 12 08:06:26 EST 2002

Adam,

>Gonna get Internode's new $135 /month 8GB ADSL plan, and want to network =
>2 desktop PCs wirelessly to share it.   I was looking at the Belkin =
>F5D6050 which got fantastic reviews and are pretty cheap through TIB.
>Sounds fimilar what your trying to so.. :)

Q1:  Will both USB devices talk to each other without an Access Point in =
the middle? (I'm guessing yes, but I just want to make absolutely sure).

Yes treat the wireless cards as simple ethernet NIC's and you'll be fine.
Place the cards in Ad-Hoc mode.

Q2:  I would like to set up a node with an antenna, is there anyway to =
do this with a USB device?  Otherwise, I'll probably only get one, and =
make the other one a PCMCIA / PCI adapter combo.

It may be possible on the device, I wouldn't recommend this, but pull
it apart to see if there are any solder points inside or not.  Haven't
had a chance to look at this mode so really can't say.

Regards
Glen Brunning
Hardware Tech
Melbourne Wireless