[MLB-WIRELESS] The Future (aka: Antenna Gain Testing?)

Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au
Fri Jun 7 13:01:09 EST 2002

http://www.tip.csiro.au/ICT/Broadband/Gigabit%20Radio.htm
-------------------------
Gigabit Wireless Research

The Broadband Wireless Systems team see the attainment of our goal - GigaBit
Wireless - involving a number of stages that will not only be the
steppingstones to the final outcome but also provide solutions to other
aspects of the tyranny of distance.

The first stage is the evaluation of mm-wave point-to-point type systems.
These provide the backhaul infrastructure for broadband requirements and
will move us down the road of addressing the critical system and cost
requirements. These will operate around 80 GHz and supply 1GBps data rates
over multi-km links.

The second stage concerns the delivery of local area network services for
access to broadband capability and applications unable to be met by current
systems. These point-to-multipoint systems will operate at similar data
rates over smaller distances and could form the delivery mechanism for
3G/4G+ services.

What we learn from these applications will be used in the third stage to
develop high-speed wireless LANs (WLAN) operating around 60 GHz for
indoor/outdoor applications at ~500MBps over ~20-100m cells.

Ultimately we may address the communications "holy grail" of a truly mobile,
personal broadband network that will form part of the intelligent
hetero-"genius" network of the future - the wireless personal area network
(WPAN).
-------------------------

Looks promising, perhaps if people here express enough interest I can
convince Dr Stephen Giugni to tell us in some detail as to exactly what he
does and how the facilities operate.  E-mail me directly if you want me to
chase this further...

Cheers,
Tyson.

   Tyson.Clugg at csiro.au