[MLB-WIRELESS] New submissions to the wireless broadband inquiry

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Fri Jun 7 07:46:16 EST 2002

Barry Park wrote:

> Hey all,
> There's been a few more submissions added to the wireless broadband inquiry
> website (http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/cita/Wbt/subslist.htm).
> Sadly, it includes this dross from Integrity Data Systems. The bits leading
> with *** are my own comments. How can we correct this?
> - Barry
>
> Integrity Data Systems says: "The 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.11 b products have been
> in use for some time now for entry level point-to-point and
> point-to-multipoint broadband deployment. The proliferation of brands now
> entering Australia and the use of wireless LAN cards in
> personal computers (PCs) and Linux boxes for community gaming is polluting
> the 2.4GHz band as a resource."

Pollution is caused by - amongst other things - a "proliferation of brands" ?
I assume that the roads would be quieter if the public had less choice in the brands
of car available.

The *intention* of this band is for activities such as community gaming. If
commercial entities want to play in this space they do so at their own risk. Their
deliberate singling out of Linux boxes is suprising and suggests some history there.

> *** WTF? And later on ...
>
> "Of even more concern is the number of importers and installers of 2.4 GHz
> product that have nil radio experience or knowledge. These companies are
> combining the 2.4 GHz products with directional, omni antennas and
> amplifiers that in many cases breach the ACA’s class license. Many of these
> companies are not even aware of the conditions around the use of products in
> the 2.4 GHz band.

Superb! IDS have confounded the actions of ignorant commercial entities who do not
understand the regulations and may well be engaged in grey importing with the
actions of community groups who understand the regulations arguably better than any
commercial entity.

> Also 2.4 GHz products are typically used by free community
> networks or gaming groups who again may not care or know if they exceed the
> 4-watt limit."

An outrageous and unfounded claim. Members of community wireless groups do know and
do care about power limits. Once again IDS attempt to link the actions of mythical
and irresponsible "gaming groups" with community wireless groups who collectively
have an enormous amount of expertise. Expertise is our main asset in fact - we don't
have financial resources but we have vast human resources in the form of passionate
and intelligent people who collectively cover every area of expertise required to
build a wireless network.

> *** Pig's bum. Who? It's an ambit claim with no foundation in fact.
>
> "We recommend that steps be taken to protect the resource so it is available
> for use by everyone. Any vendors or importers selling the product in
> Australia should undertake an accreditation process, which involves
> educating their channel on the class license.

Yes - these vendors or importers should be required to join their local community
wireless networking group.

> All installed links should be
> registered with the ACA by the installer, end user or both and must supply,
> as a minimum, a link budget which clearly shows the product, RF cable, and
> antennas used, as well as the EIRP level for the link.

This suggestion completely misunderstands and defeats the purpose of the class
license which sets aside a tiny sliver of the RF spectrum for use by the public
without the cost and administrative overhead associated with the commercial uses
which dominate the remainder. Such a regime would only be effective if compliance
checks were made - the ACA hardly has the resources for this - although a commercial
operator could probably afford them if they were making fees from both the initial
installation and ongoing internet access charges.

> The ACA could then
> issue a certificate of compliance.

Which would indicate only that the paperwork complied.

> We also believe that retrospective steps
> be taken to clean up the band by ensuring current links comply with the
> class license conditions. After an amnesty or grace period, sites without a
> certificate of compliance could be fined. This should not only remove the
> “cowboy” element of some suppliers and resellers.

Clearly there motivation here is to protect their commercial interests - this
attempt to link their "cowboy" commercial competitors with knowledgeable and
responsible community groups would appear to be an attempt to simply complicate the
issue in the hope of having the enquiry conclude that the issue is overly
complicated and requires more further investigation or legislation.

> but allow more second tier
> carriers to look at using the technology, which is still the most economical
> way to distribute Internet services.

That is - if we can whiteant potential commercial competitors and possibly community
networking groups themselves by raising the cost of compliance. Commercial operators
who want to operate within this class license must accept the the legitimate
presence of all other users - including wireless community groups. If they want to
base their business model on an access method that can be legitimately stomped on
the by nearest ATV link then that is a commercial risk they must quantify and bear.

> This would still allow the technology to be used for gaming purposes, but
> minimise the risk of interference with a second tier carrier who is
> deploying a suburb-wide wireless broadband service.

> Using the analogy of the spectrum resource as a river, there would be an
> uproar over the lax way we allow some to pollute it. We must protect it from
> the reckless or ignorant behaviour of a few so broadband is cost-effectively
> available for all.
> In regard to free community wireless networks, they again should not only
> register their links, but be excluded from using amplifiers.

A register of every 802.11b leaf node on the ACA website would be a pretty handy
marketing resource for a commercial ISP offering access in that band - particularly
if the customer premises equipment is already installed and commissioned.

Community groups are already excluded from using amps, as are all users, if they
exceed the power limits. I can't think of an application where they are required
anyway.