[MLB-WIRELESS] To prism or not to prism

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Wed Jun 5 20:35:59 EST 2002

This is my understanding of Prism2 vs Hermes(orinoco, etc).

The Prism2 chipset firmware has capabilities to take care of AP managment
things like frame acknowledging, wep, etc.  Ther hermes don't.  That's why
you need the extra bit like an RG1000 or whateva, that handles all that
extra stuff.

I'm running an access point and it's just a Compaq WL200 in a 486 with Linux
running the Host AP driver from http://hostap.epitest.fi/

The groovy thing about this driver is that it supports simultaneous AP mode
and bridging to other AP's running the same driver.
It also now supports MAC address restrictions and a few other things I can't
think of.....