[MLB-WIRELESS] Re[2]: Node DB Update

John Dalton john.dalton at bigfoot.com
Wed Jun 5 16:44:42 EST 2002

Hi EB,

> The only problem is where do you draw the line, I mean after 2 or 3
> years we could have a substantial amount of inactive nodes with the
> persons having no intention of coming back...

The only cost is storage and a bit of extra processor power.
Over the next couple of years, these two factors will more than keep pace
with any increase in database size.  It really is becoming
possible to store information 'forever'.  As a practical
example, I still have the entire 80MB image of the hard disk
from my first PC.  It fits in one tiny corner of the 40GB
disk I now have.

Having 99% expired nodes should not be an issue, since they
will be hidden from view, unless it is specifically requested
that they be shown.

In fact, the best way to do things might be to allow an option
on the database search: "Show only nodes which have been
updated/touched in the last 'x' months", where 'x' is a search
parameter.  That way the user can decide how out of date they
want to be.

John