[MLB-WIRELESS] Help on what i'd want.

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Wed Jun 5 14:21:25 EST 2002

Best way to see if a link works, is to get some equipment and test it. Of course
it's not nice to buy equipment only to find out you can't get a connection,
so if you've got any sources to borrow some it would be good.

Jump up on your roof with a notebook and an antenna, point towards your mates
house, get him to do the same thing at his end. wave your antennas around with
Netstumbler running and see what happens.  If you get no connection you may
need a bit more height, so try get hold of a pole to put your antenna on and
hold it up and again wave it around.

If still nothing, try and find some higher geographics points near your houses
and test from there. If it works then you know there's just something in the
middle restricting your signal, or you need a higher mast at your house.

>g'day all.
>
>I'm new to the whole wireless networking caper. I've been interested in >it
for some time now, and myself and a few mates finally after >completing secondary
school have enough cash to spend on something new.

>Basically I live in Dingley and the furthest mate interested lives in >Murrumbeena
so there is about 13 km between us, there are a few others >in between us two
at around 4km - 7km.

>LOS is the thing that gets me frustrated, as I'm not sure how to go >about
working it out. from what I gather, driving to and from their >houses there
aren't too many hills, but there are a few that might >render our wireless networking
extremely hard.

>If anyone can recommend what hardware I should be looking into, or shed >some
light onto a really easy way of this we have overlooked. I'd be >greatly appreciated.