[MLB-WIRELESS] interesting submission

Drew drew at wireless.org.au
Sat Jun 1 09:39:00 EST 2002

One of the more interesting submissions to the inquiry is this one
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/cita/Wbt/subs/sub014.pdf submitted
by The Institute for Open Systems Technologies which advocates an open
mesh, and raises some interesting points of discussion, and gives credit
to community groups as seen below. One notable flaw in the submission is
that all of the calculations used assumes 11mb/s bandwidth, when we all
know its more like 3-6. Good read nonetheless.

<http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/cita/Wbt/subs/sub014.pdf>"Moreover,
since most of the existing carriers have huge investments in 3G
mobile, they are not going to touch anything that might lessen their revenue
stream. Splitting the bets over two wireless technologies just isn't a good
idea for them.

And this is what we have seen so far -- there is an almost total lack of
investment into 802.11 infrastructure in Australia. The level of 802.11
rollout
by the carriers has been dwarfed by the volunteer efforts of community
wireless groups 2.

2e.g. The Meshes of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Bendigo, etc."