[MLB-WIRELESS] wireless honey pots? *sheesh*

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Wed Jul 31 11:39:02 EST 2002

trying to decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing...  I suspect
that to most of us, wardriving and wireless hacking is as much about
doing as exploiting.  we aren't after free bandwidth or corporate data
or causing damage. we care about wireless security (and pointing it out)
because we want wireless to be a promoted and widely accepted mode of
communication... improvements increases promotion increases uptake
reduces prices increases uptake increases density and we get closer to
critical mass for a public (Open?) WMAN. OWMAN.  sounds like something
from "The Simpsons"...

so is this a good thing?  on one hand, indicates some sysadmins are
paying attention to the insecurity of networks.  but if used to reduce
consumer/public scruitiny (eg. prosecution for looking) then it is a bad
thing.  Mind you I suspect as a sysadmin, if you know enough to set up a
honey pot, why would you worry about your wireless network?  likely you
have already set up the security properley and the honey pot is just an
obstrification device...  so that makes me suspicious of the motives.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC, RMIT University
paul at serc.rmit.edu.au