[MLB-WIRELESS] PCMCIA + System.map == Brokeness

fenn_b at smktech.com.au fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Thu Jul 25 11:44:35 EST 2002

Hi All,

I went through the glorious fun of kernel recompilation and related joy
shortly after I got my $60 enterasys cards (the last meeting). All went
relatively smoothly, all is working, but I have one weird side effect
that I cannot for the life of me work out and I'm hoping someone here
may have a clue.

Whenever I start my PCMCIA support, (eg: load the appropriate orinoco_cs
modules/etc) I get System.map problems. I'll try and illustrate below
(though text-wrapping is probably going to break it):

Two System.map files: Both identical
---------------------
root at elbow:/boot# diff ./System.map-2.4.18 /usr/src/linux/System.map
root at elbow:/boot#
---------------------

All is fine prior to pcmcia service starting:
---------------------
root at elbow:/boot# ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 4757 pts/3    00:00:00 bash
 5412 pts/3    00:00:00 ps
---------------------

Now lets start pcmcia:
---------------------
root at elbow:/boot# /etc/init.d/pcmcia start
Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr[5427]: watching 1 sockets
done.
---------------------

Now check out ps:
---------------------
root at elbow:/boot# ps
{agp_frontend_cleanup} {_pthread_cleanup_push_defer}
Warning: /boot/System.map-2.4.18 does not match kernel data.
{agp_frontend_cleanup} {_pthread_cleanup_push_defer}
Warning: /usr/src/linux/System.map does not match kernel data.
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 4757 pts/3    00:00:00 bash
 5465 pts/3    00:00:00 ps
---------------------

Stop PCMCIA and all is fine again:
---------------------
root at elbow:/boot# /etc/init.d/pcmcia stop
Shutting down PCMCIA services: done.
root at elbow:/boot# ps
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 4757 pts/3    00:00:00 bash
 5521 pts/3    00:00:00 ps
root at elbow:/boot#

I have recompiled the kernel several times and copied the newly
generated System.map, kernel and associated modules to the appropriate
places. It is definitely the correct System.map for the kernel that is
running and the creation dates are identical.

I'm stumped :)

Thanks,

	Fenn.