[MLB-WIRELESS] Interesting article on whirlpool

Mike C oomphmike at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 22 19:48:38 EST 2002

Found this on whirlpool today, interesting...

            http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/914

Mike

Relax wireless licensing, urges Minister

Posted by Matt Borgo   Sunday at 4:23 pm

    South Australia Information Economy Minister Jane Lomax-Smith has called
on federal parliament to lift restrictions on wireless broadband licensing
in an effort to increase the uptake of the technology, reports Australian
IT.

While 802.11 wireless local area networks do not require licences when used
within homes or businesses or for non-commercial purposes, anyone wanting to
provide commercial services by wireless must be licensed.

"Some sort of limited low-cost or no-cost licence would seem appropriate,"
writes Dr Lomax-Smith.

"The holder of such a limited licence would have to meet all the statutory
requirements." Dr Lomax-Smith said that smaller players are excluded from
offering services due to the high cost of spectrum licensing.

"While I acknowledge this is a difficult issue, I would strongly urge the
inquiry to give thought to how Australia's second-tier telecommunications
firms might be equipped to participate in the growing wireless broadband
market without being relegated to amateur status," said Dr Lomax-Smith.