[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Windows, only for now? (was: New DLink kit eval)

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon Jul 22 15:37:08 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Graham Merkel" <rgmerk at mira.net>
To: <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Windows, only for now? (was: New DLink kit
eval)

| Well, if the driver's open source (which aside from any
| ideological leanings is just plain more convenient under
| Linux) it makes sense for the drivers to be written
| at chipset level rather than by each individual board
| vendor.
|
| In any case, the only way to get them to change their policy
| is to make sure they know they're losing potential sales.
| Hence, asking at the meeting...

All DLink asked for in return for Eval'ing the gear was some feedback on how
it suited our requirements and how it could better suit our requirements.
There was some issues with the 11a PCMCIA Drivers under Win. `98 which I
informed them of and also the Linux drivers (I didn't have time to see if
they were for some reason natively supported, but chances are very low).
They are however aware that people are wanting *nux drivers for their
wireless gear.