[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Windows, only for now? (was: New DLink kit eval)

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk at mira.net
Mon Jul 22 15:14:25 EST 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 03:04:03PM +1000, Jason Hecker wrote:

> >I haven't been able to find anything on Linux or BSD drivers, either,
> >
> >Perhaps this is something we can ask about at the Dlink presentation
> >at the upcoming meeting?
>
> DLink seem to be pretty poor when it comes to Linux support.  Instead,
> people have had to rely on the Intersil sponsored Linux-Wlan drivers for
> the DWL-5x0 and DWL-6x0 range and Atmel's driver for DWL-120.
>
> So for now, unless there is some sort of support from TI, then forget
> it.  Maybe someone can get the ball rolling there.

Well, if the driver's open source (which aside from any
ideological leanings is just plain more convenient under
Linux) it makes sense for the drivers to be written
at chipset level rather than by each individual board
vendor.

In any case, the only way to get them to change their policy
is to make sure they know they're losing potential sales.
Hence, asking at the meeting...

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk at mira.net

Node FLY on Melbourne Wireless : http://www.wireless.org.au